What does the number 250,000 and your feet have in common?
(Cue the theme from jeopardy)……Oh, times up!
That’s the total number of sweat glands found in your feet. On average, these glands can excrete up to half a pint of sweat per day. But for some of us, this quantity may only be a drop in the bucket. Sweating is a normal function to cool the body, but with excess sweat- known as hyperhydrosis- comes a breeding ground for bacteria, fungus, and the dreaded stench from smelly feet. Combine other factors such as high physical activity and a warm climate and sweaty feet can REALLY get out of hand (ha!).
Here are 7 remedies you can use to fight sweaty feet.
1. Wearing cotton socks with close-toed shoes is a MUST! Socks act as a barrier to soak up the sweat. Bare feet + sweat + shoes= a STINKY situation! Avoid dark colors (navy blue, black) due to their ability to retain heat. Replace socks AT LEAST once daily. Socks can become saturated with sweat and cause more harm than good (i.e. blisters).
2. Swap shoes. NEVER wear the same shoes in consecutive days. Allow your shoes to air out at least 24 hours each time after they are worn.
3. Dust feet with foot powder. The soles of the feet, between the toes, and inside the shoes are the areas of concern.
4. Soaking your feet in a basin of warm water and Epsom salt deodorizes and draws out toxins that your feet encounter during the day. Repeat this 3 to 4 times per week.
5. Make sure your feet are completely dry AFTER bathing. Pay special attention in between the toes. Moist, warm environments that are tight and enclosed are a recipe for disaster against keeping your feet clean and dry.
6. Watch your diet. That’s right…. spicy food, alcohol, and drinks with caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas) can promote increased sweating.
7. Spray the insides of your shoes with Lysol to eliminate bacteria. We all know sweaty feet that reek go hand-in-hand. Use this as a one, two punch with the other remedies mentioned.
What has been your experience? Any other remedies you’ve found to be a “go-to” for sweaty feet?
Putting your best FEET forward,